TINA'S TAKE - MAY 2017
As I prepare to move into another role at UNLV, I want to take this opportunity to thank each of you for your support of UNLV Athletics. It has truly been an honor and a privilege to serve this great university as its director of athletics over the past four years.
As a lifelong Las Vegan, former UNLV student-athlete, former UNLV coach, former UNLV administrator and the first woman and first alumna of the school to be its athletics director...
I want to thank our coaches, staff, and student-athletes who make UNLV so amazing and the leaders of this university who have been so supportive.
Our department has achieved so many accomplishments since 2013 and a few are listed below:
- Unprecedented 10 Conference Championships In 13 Months (April 2016 - April 2017)
- 15 Conference Championships in 8 sports
- 10 Conference Coaches of the Year in 9 sports
- 21 Postseason Appearances in 12 sports
- 22 Conference Players/Freshmen of the Year in 11 sports
- 20 All-Americans in 8 sports
- 3 Academic All-Americans
- 12 Academic All-District Honorees in 6 sports
- Graduation Success Rates (GSR) - Each year at 75% or greater
- 20 Single-Year Perfect APR Scores
- Football APR reversal was lifted in June 2014
- 346 Mountain West Academic All-Conference Recipients (min. 3.0 GPA)
- 159 Mountain West Scholar-Athletes (min. 3.5 GPA)
- Combined APR of 969 - 96.9% of student-athletes were eligible and retained
- 24 Former Student-Athletes Returned To Earn Degree
- 4 Teams Earned NCAA APR Public Recognition Awards – Perfect multiyear scores of 1000
- Secured largest single gift in UNLV Athletics history - $10 million - Fertitta Football Complex
- Announced largest previous gift of $2 million for same project
- Built Anthony and Lyndy Marnell III Baseball Clubhouse
Domination of Governor's Series - Champions in 2014, 2015, 2016
Mountain West Community Service Award Winner - 2016-17
NCAA Compliance - No Major Infractions
Learfield Director's Cup - Best-ever 125 points for Fall 2016
Leadership and Student Initiatives
Launched program to support UNLV Athletics staff members in their continued professional growth and development
Launched student internship program across Marketing and Communications. Over three years, provided instruction, hands-on work experience and professional development for more than 25 undergraduate and graduate students at UNLV
Program has expanded to include a partnership with the NHL's Vegas Golden Knights, providing a unique, two-year professional development opportunity for students who aspire to a career in Sports Marketing or Sports Communications
- Set single-game marks for baseball, women's basketball, and men's and women's soccer; and attracted largest crowd for a college basketball game in the state of Nevada in more than 25 years (19,107 at T Mobile Arena; Duke vs. UNLV; Dec. 10, 2016)
UNLV Athletics Hall of Fame - Reinstated for the first time in five years.
It was an honor and a privilege to serve as your athletic director and I wish our coaches, student-athletes, staff, donors and fans nothing but continued success. I will forever treasure the memories from UNLV and look forward to all the great success that the future will bring.
In closing, I want to welcome Desiree Reed-Francois and her family to Las Vegas and UNLV and wish her the very best as she begins her new role at this great institution.
Always and forever a Rebel,
UNLV Director of Athletics